Synology DiskStation DS1511+
- CPU INTEL Atom D525
- Frequency : Dual Core 1.79 GHz
- Memory : DRAM 1024 MB
- Internal HDD/SSD : 3 x Western Digital WD40EFRX 4 TB – SATA 3, 64 MB cache, 7200 rpm
- External HDD Interface : 4 x USB 2.0 – Type A, 2 x eSATA 3Gb/s
- LAN : 2 Gigabit interface
- Wake on LAN/WAN
- 1 x VGA – HD-15
NAS with excellent performance, security features, convenient web interface, good external USB drive support and optional application packages, supports SyncBack (backup and synchronisation windows client)
Logitech Media Server updates were discontinued by Synology for a while.
DSM 6.0 includes an updated Logitech Media Server stable version.
Logitech Media Server notes:
DSM 6.0.2-8451 includes Logitech Media Server version 7.7.6-113 which works fine with iTunes plugin enabled and handles correctly all playlists:
Logitech Media Server Version: 7.7.6 – 1452060463 @ Thu Jan 21 02:17:04 UTC 2016
Perl Version: 5.24.0-0066 – x86_64-linux
Database Version: DBD::SQLite 1.34_01 (sqlite 188.8.131.52)
Logitech Media Server (LMS) notes (prior to DSM 6.0-7321):
The configuration below worked fine with the iTunes plugin enabled and handles correctly all playlists:
- Logitech Media Server Version: 7.9.0 – 1437640078 @ Thu Jul 23 09:08:35 UTC 2015
this LMS version is the LMS Repack based on the latest Synology package of Logitech Media Server, and updated to LMS 7.9.0. Read first the instructions on the Synology-Forum.nl (in Dutch).
- Operating system: Synology DiskStation (DSM 5.2-5592 Update 2) – EN – utf8
- Perl Version: 5.18.4 – i686-linux
- Audio::Scan: 0.95
- Database Version: DBD::SQLite 1.34_01 (sqlite 184.108.40.206)
The iTunes library was generated by a Windows7 iTunes 64-bit version 220.127.116.11. Internet stream library entries and podcasts can cause a misbehaviour of the playlists and were removed. Apple’s Protected AAC Audio will not play and were converted (check my post how to convert).
iTunes plugin settings:
- iTunes Music Library.xml Location: /volume1/music/iTunes/iTunes Music Library.xml
- iTunes Media Folder: /volume1/music/iTunes/iTunes Media
LMS Basic settings:
- Media Folders: /volume1/music/iTunes/iTunes Media
- Playlists Folder: /volume1/music/iTunes/iTunes Media
The foundation to make the housekeeping process easy and efficient is the partioning of my hard disk(s).
While the primary partition holds the operating system and programme files, the secondary is dedicated to the data files. This way, the operating system may be re-installed at any time without data loss. Disk cleanup and defragmentation will run faster and more efficient. Finally, also the system performance may be improved. The SSD partition(s) on my hybrid ultrabook is left untouched.
Removing unused and temporary information from your system allows Windows to run faster and more efficiently:
- Perform a regular disk cleanup and defragmentation of the volumes
- Clean the startup entries after software installation and upgrades
- Perform a regular registry cleanup and defragmentation
- Perform a regular complete virus scan of your disks
- Perform a regular complete spyware scan of your system
- Defrag the pagefile
Check my related posts:
‘Tuning the Windows environment – Windows 7 optimization‘,
‘Microsoft Windows support pages‘
‘reclaim disk space‘,
and Best of Breed section for a selection of freeware tools to help you with these tasks.
Check out the Windows Sysinternals website for latest tool developments.
Here is a list of items that I apply to optimize a Windows 7 system.
Safety first! Before you apply any of these changes it is recommended to make a windows restore point.
1) Review the System Properties – Adjust the Performance Options in the Advanced Systems Settings:
Adjust for best performance.
In case you want to keep the look and feel of Windows 7, then tag:
enable desktop composition, enable transparent glass, show thumbnails instead of icons, smooth edges of screen fonts, use drop shadows for icon labels on the desktop, use visual styles on windows and buttons
Virtual Memory (Advanced Tab):
Adjust the pagefile size used for Virtual Memory (a.k.a. swap file). The recommended size is equivalent to 1.5 times the amount of physical installed memory (RAM) on your system.
In case you have a (fast) secondary or subsequent physical internal drive installed in your system (not an external drive), you may opt to move the paging file to one of these drives.
2) Adjust Visuals and Sounds:
- Disable slide show on your desktop and tidy up your Windows desktop
- Disable (untag) transparency for windows borders in Window Colour and Appearance:
- Use solid colours
- Turn off system sounds
3) Adjust the Windows Update settings
disable Automatic Updates and select notification only
4) Disable the User Account Control Settings (Never Notify):
5) Set the Power Options to High Performance
setup a VPN to your home network with Windows 7 and a Belgacom b-box2
Here is a way to setup a VPN access from a Windows 7 PC to your home network with a Windows 7 PC as host PC:
1) assign a fixed IP address to the host Windows 7 PC on your home network (in this example 192.168.1.9)
2) set port forwarding on your Belgacom b-box router:
- – create a new entry in LAN Servers
3) use a dynamic DNS service to overcome the ever changing IP address changes applied by Belgacom on your b-box router
4) setup the incoming remote connection on the host Windows 7 PC:
- First go to Control Panel and open Network and Sharing Center.
- Click on Change adapter settings.
- Press Alt+F and select New Incoming connection
- Put a check on who you’d like to give access to this computer or you can configure a new account by clicking on Add someone,after that click on Next.
- Put a check mark on Through the Internet. Click on Next.
- Select the protocols you want to enable for this connection. Click on Allow access.
- Make a note of the Computer name as this will be used by the client to connect to this computer and after that Click on Close.
5) setup the VPN connection on the remote Windows 7 PC:
- First go to Control Panel and open Network and Sharing Center.
- Click on Set up a new connection or network.
- Select Connect to a workplace then click on Next.
- Select Use my internet connection (VPN).
- Type the IP address or computer name (or the dynamic DNS name you created in step 3) where you wish to connect and your connection name under the Destination name field.
- Enter a User name and password that has been granted access to the host computer.
- For getting connected through created VPN connection, you can either right-click on the Network icon in the system tray and select Network and Sharing Center or go to Control Panel and open Network and Sharing Center, and click on Connect to a network.
- Now connect VPN Connection windows will appears.
see also the Pureinfotech article about a VPN connection in Windows 7
Copy content from your iPod to your Mac
The article below helped me succesfully copy all content from an iPod nano (5th generation) and iPod classic (5th generation) to a Macbook Air with OS X Mavericks and iTunes 11.1.5 (5).
NETGEAR R6300 Dual Band WiFi 802.11AC Router
AC1750 WiFi—450+1300 Mbps speeds
- Broadcom BCM5300 chip rev 1
- 5GHz: IEEE® 802.11 a/n/ac
2.4GHz: IEEE® 802.11 b/g/n
- 2 USB Ports: one USB 3.0 and one USB 2.0 port
- 4 10/100/1000Mbps LAN Ports
- 64/128-bit WEP,WPA / WPA2,WPA-PSK/ WPA2-PSK encryption
Firmware Version: DD-WRT v24-sp2 (10/06/14) kongac – build 25015M-SP1
Works well with Windows XP and Windows 7 and 10 clients, OS X, Android, iOS, Blackberry and Playstations. USB keys may get hot when remained inserted for a long period. Supports three simultaneous networks, including a guest network. Great network performance for speed and coverage.
Upgrade to dd-wrt firmware
This router has been upgraded from Firmware Version V18.104.22.168_1.0.58 to a dd-wrt firmware.
Please refer to the dd-wrt.com site for the detailed documentation and instructions.
Check also the articles on MyOpenRouter.com.
The key to a successful upgrade is to reset the router before and after each step. Hence, after each step, the router will restore its default values. This R6300 V1 model was initially installed with the Kong K3-AC version. Once this was succesfully completed and tested, it was upgraded to the Firmware Version: DD-WRT v24-sp2 (10/06/14) kongac – build 25015M-SP1.
The dd-wrt firmware works stable and provides an equal perfomance as the stock firmware but with more features for wireless channel controls and use of VPNs. The user interface is the big drawback and is not recommended for novice users.
TP-Link TL-WA901ND Wireless Access Point
- 2.4GHz: Up to 300Mbps
- WPA-PSK/WPA2-PSK encryption
- PoE Support
- DHCP Server
Works well with Windows 7 clients, Android, iOS and Blackberry. Smart IP settings may not work with your router setup.
This Access Point can be used with a Netgear WNDR3700 but avoid using Smart IP.
Home Sation ADSL-ZTE-H108N
The Home Sation ADSL-ZTE-H108N is a combined ADSL Modem, Router and Wireless Access Point.
The default adress of the Access Point is http://192.168.1.1 (factory setting).
Works well with Windows 7 clients, iOS, Android and Blackberry. Supports the WPA2 wireless clients authentication and encryption methods. Simple setup menu.
Firefox may not work to access the setup menu. Use Internet Explorer instead.
Firefox running on Windows 7 may have issues with Flash plug-in installers or updates. In those cases you can download and install the Flash Player installation packages available on the Adobe Flash Player Distribution site.
Spotify offers streaming music and holds a vast choice of popular music. You can download Spotify for free and then log onto their service enabling the on-demand streaming of music. While the use of a facebook account is suggested, it is not mandatory and you can sign up for an account by using an email address only.
Spotify is available on different platforms and devices: PC, Mac, Tablet, Smartphone and audiostreaming devices. To learn more about the features, you can have a look at the user guides.
When using the PC or Mac version, you can listen to all music for free. Spotify works well on Windows XP, Vista, 7 and 10.
When using other devices, you must use paid subscriptions without ads and with a range of extra features such as higher bitrate streams and offline access to music. We recommend to use this version to fully benefit of the flexibility and quality. Keep in mind that this is a single user account. You can use the same account on all your devices but you cannot listen with the same account to your Smartphone and iPad at the same time.
We are using Spotify accounts on the following devices:
Spotify can also be used on an Android tablet and some Blackberry models.